Apigenin: The Flavonoid with Powerful Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Effects
What do chamomile, oranges, and beer have in common? They each provide the flavonoid apigenin, which has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
Apigenin is a flavonoid, which is a type of plant compound that has been shown to have many health benefits. It is found in many fruits, vegetables, and herbs, and it is also available as a supplement.
What are the benefits of apigenin?
Apigenin has been shown to have a wide range of health benefits, including:
- Supporting heart health: Apigenin can help to reduce blood pressure and inflammation, which can protect the heart from damage.
- Boosting brain function: Apigenin has been shown to improve memory and learning, and it may also help to protect against Alzheimer's disease.
- Ease anxiety and depression: Apigenin has calming and relaxing effects, and it may help to reduce anxiety and depression.
- Fighting diabetes: Apigenin can help to improve insulin sensitivity, which can help to control blood sugar levels.
- Working as an anticancer agent: Apigenin has been shown to kill cancer cells and prevent cancer growth.
- Increasing testosterone: Apigenin may help to increase testosterone levels in men.
How to get apigenin
The best way to get apigenin is to eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and herbs. Some of the best sources of apigenin include:
You can also get apigenin from supplements. However, it is important to talk to your doctor before taking apigenin supplements, as they can interact with certain medications.
Apigenin is a powerful flavonoid that has many health benefits. By eating a diet rich in apigenin-rich foods or taking apigenin supplements, you can improve your overall health and well-being.
Here are some additional tips for getting more apigenin in your diet:
- Drink chamomile tea.
- Add parsley to your recipes.
- Eat oranges and other citrus fruits.
- Add celery to your salads and soups.
- Snack on kumquats.
- Roast rutabagas with other vegetables.
- Add spinach to your smoothies.
- Sprinkle thyme, oregano, or tarragon on your food.
By following these tips, you can easily add more apigenin to your diet and reap the many benefits of this powerful flavonoid.